Job title: Computer Systems Engineer
Company: Berkeley Lab
Job description: Lawrence Berkeley National Lab’s ( ), has an opening for a Site Reliability Engineer (SRE) for Bioinformatics Systems and Tools (BST).
The successful candidate is responsible for the administration, management, and maintenance of Bioinformatics systems (hardware, software, documentation, monitoring, and data), and for deploying and monitoring releases of Bioinformatics tools. This position supports all levels of the design, configuration, implementation, operation, and maintenance of computer-oriented systems and networks, including real-time and event-driven systems, databases and database management systems, application systems, operating systems, and data communications related to ESE’s shared computing and instrument controller infrastructure.
This position requires proven experience working with computer hardware, and System Administration with both the Microsoft and Linux platforms. This position will also require some coding skills to build and maintain tools for improving service levels. This position will demonstrate good judgment in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions while networking with key contacts outside their own area of expertise. This includes aligning systems, processes, and procedures to conform to industry best practices. This position will report to the Site Reliability Engineer for IT Operations (SRE for iOps) at ESE.
What You Will Do:
- Administers and maintains ESE’s shared computing environment, including hardware, software, services, documentation, monitoring, and data.
- Manages, and maintains Instrument Controller Infrastructure, including hardware, software, documentation, monitoring, and data.
- Maintains Core Infrastructure, including network storage, XCP-ng hypervisors, and cloud-based services.
- Manages, and maintains operational tools, including check_mk, Ansible, Preseed, JIRA.
- Works as part of a team to maintain data and service availability.
- Determine design, development, configuration, implementation and maintenance of application and operating system components in a fast-paced and creative environment.
- Works closely with computational scientists, biologists, and chemists to improve usability and interoperability with other informatics systems.
What is Required:
- Minimum of 5 years of related experience with a Bachelor’s degree; or 3 years and a Master’s degree; or equivalent experience.
- Experience working with computer hardware, and System Administration experience with both the Microsoft and Linux platforms.
- Experience with the following technologies:
- Debian/Ubuntu System Administration
- XCP-ng Hypervisor
- TrueNAS/FreeNAS filers
- Windows System Administration
- Docker and Docker Swarm
- Communication skills in listening, reading, writing, and speaking with diverse teams.
- Able to improvise and adapt.
- Experience in Bioinformatics
- This is a full time, 2 year term appointment with the possibility of extension or conversion to Career appointment based upon satisfactory job performance, continuing availability of funds and ongoing operational needs.
- This position will be hired at a level commensurate with the business needs and the skills, knowledge, and abilities of the successful candidate.
- This position may be subject to a background check. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment.
- Work will be primarily performed at: Emery Station East — Bldg. 978, 5885 Hollis St., 4th floor, Emeryville, CA.
Learn about us!
Biological Systems and Engineering Division
Vision: To lead efforts that combine the power of biology with the tools of engineering to develop sustainable energy and biomanufacturing solutions and improve human health.
Mission: Advance a mechanistic and predictive understanding of complex biological systems over multiple scales in terms of their responses to manipulation, stress, disease and environmental challenges and translate this knowledge using engineering principles to develop resilient systems, tools, and processes for the efficient production of fuels, chemicals, materials, tissues, and therapeutics.
(LBNL) addresses the world’s most urgent scientific challenges by advancing sustainable energy, protecting human health, creating new materials, and revealing the origin and fate of the universe. Founded in 1931, Berkeley Lab’s scientific expertise has been recognized with 13 Nobel prizes. The University of California manages Berkeley Lab for the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science.
Working at Berkeley Lab has many rewards including a competitive compensation program, excellent health and welfare programs, a retirement program that is second to none, and outstanding development opportunities. To view information about the many rewards that are offered at Berkeley Lab- .
Equal Employment Opportunity: Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. Berkeley Lab is in compliance with the under 41 CFR 60-1.4. Click to view the poster and supplement: “Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law.
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory encourages applications from women, minorities, veterans, and other underrepresented groups presently considering scientific research careers.
Job date: Thu, 13 May 2021 07:19:08 GMT
Apply for the job now!