Job title: Microsoft Server Administrator
Job description: FirstEnergy
FirstEnergy at a Glance
We are a forward-thinking electric utility powered by a diverse team of employees committed to making customers’ lives brighter, the environment better and our communities stronger.
FirstEnergy (NYSE: FE) is dedicated to safety, reliability and operational excellence. Headquartered in Akron, Ohio, FirstEnergy includes one of the nation’s largest investor-owned electric systems, more than 24,500 miles of transmission lines that connect the Midwest and Mid-Atlantic regions, and a regulated generating fleet with a total capacity of 3,780 megawatts.
About the Opportunity
This is an open position with FirstEnergy Service Co., a subsidiary of FirstEnergy Corp. [SC00]
This position is accountable, under general supervision, for installing and maintaining our primarily on Microsoft Server environment in FirstEnergy Corp. while maintaining compliance with industry standards and regulatory requirements.
- Install, manage and tune mission-critical Microsoft Server systems that support operations 24x7x365 with minimal downtime.
- Execute Microsoft Server standards that include Citrix servers, application servers, Active Directory servers, specialized support servers, Microsoft SQL Server and File and Print Servers.
- Assistance in supporting Red Hat and Oracle database technologies will be periodically needed as it relates to specific project needs.
- Manage the testing and deployment of patches and software upgrades
- Solve complex problems and troubleshoot functionality for issue identification (including debugging); work in conjunction with other IT personnel.
- Develop and maintain scripting, code or interface APIs where necessary
- Develop technical designs and estimates to meet the business needs while supporting the company’s overall IT direction and standards.
- Create and maintain system documentation and procedures to ensure governance and standards.
- Provide consulting for new applications/systems requiring Microsoft servers and services.
- Maintain and administer operating systems, server security and Microsoft services.
- Install, upgrade, configure and maintain server systems hardware and software.
- Design and implement disaster recovery procedures.
- Investigate and resolve application problems and enterprise monitoring alarms
- Strict adherence to company processes, change management and other procedures in accordance with regulatory requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field with 3 – 5 years of related experience required. In lieu of a degree, 5 – 7 years of related experience required.
- Related experience includes, but is not limited to: a production Microsoft Server Administration role, patch management, PowerShell scripting
- Strong knowledge of the following:
- Microsoft Windows Server deployment using deployment software tools
- Experience as it relates to Red Hat Enterprise Linux and Oracle database technology administration is a plus
- Intel/AMD server hardware maintenance including experience on blade and converged hardware platforms. Strong understanding of HPE’s Synergy platform is a plus.
- Microsoft Server anti-virus administration and troubleshooting
- Microsoft Windows Server operating system (2012/2016/2019) administration and patch management software
- VMware – Understand the structure and design of VMware server virtualization implementations focusing on virtual machine setup and administration. Basic knowledge of VMware infrastructure (ESX, vSphere, etc.) is necessary
- Proficient in PowerShell and other scripting technologies
- Puppet and continuous configuration automation technology languages is a plus
- Microsoft File and Print Services
- Active Directory
- Microsoft SQL Server Administration
- Microsoft IIS and other web platform such as WebLogic is a plus
- Storage related concepts, protocols (Fiber Channel, NFS, CIFS)
- SAN/NAS/Tape storage infrastructures and storage networking infrastructure. Experience with Pure Storage is a plus.
- Backup technologies such as IBM Spectrum Protect or Veeam
- RAID levels and disk technologies
- Strong network skills for server administration and performance troubleshooting.
- Strong understanding of enterprise monitoring platforms.
- Ability and willingness to travel to company sites, work flexible hours, and be available for call-in and after-hours support (7X24 operations).
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, and strong interpersonal skills to work effectively with people at all levels and with varying backgrounds.
- Experience in providing responsive and effective customer service.
- Highly motivated to work independently and productively within a virtual environment (i.e. working with remote co-workers using virtual technologies).
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively as part of a team.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively prioritize and plan work, work on multiple concurrent tasks, and meet deadlines.
- Proven ability to troubleshoot and solve non-routine problems with little or no guidance.
Qualifications at the Level IV include all of the above plus 5+ years of experience with a related degree required. In lieu of a degree, 7+ years of experience required.
- In-depth knowledge of relevant work experience
Benefits, Compensation & Workforce Diversity
At FirstEnergy, employees are key to our success. We depend on their talents to meet the challenges of our changing business environment. We are committed to rewarding individual and team efforts through our total rewards philosophy which includes competitive pay plus incentive compensation, a company-sponsored pension plan, 401(k) savings plan with matching employer contribution, a choice of medical, prescription drug, dental, vision, and life insurance programs, as well as skills development training with tuition reimbursement. Please visit our website at www.firstenergycorp.com to learn more about all of our employee rewards programs. FirstEnergy proudly supports workforce diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with a disability. No recruiters or agencies without a previously signed contract. Unable to sponsor or transfer H-1B visas at this time.
Safety is a core value for FirstEnergy and is essential to all of our business activities. We ensure employees have the tools, information, and processes to perform their duties in a manner that assures safety for themselves, their co-workers, our customers and the public. Our goals are to provide a safe work environment, to maintain an accident-free, injury-free workplace, and to promote and maintain public safety. To meet these goals, we dedicate ourselves to achieving world-class safety standards.
FirstEnergy Human Resources Team
Location: Akron, OH
Job date: Thu, 24 Jun 2021 06:30:27 GMT
Apply for the job now!