Job title: Postdoctoral Fellow (Kostecki Research Group)
Company: Berkeley Lab
Job description: Berkeley Lab’s Energy Storage & Distributed Resources Division (ESDR) is looking for a Postdoctoral Fellow to join their Kostecki Research Group!
In this role, you will direct and carry out diagnostic investigations of advanced energy storage systems. You will perform research that will define the fundamental issues affecting rechargeable battery performance. You will study the nature of physicochemical properties of interfaces, nanostructures, and the mechanism of electrochemical and chemical phenomena that determine the behavior of the electrochemical energy storage systems. This will involve characterizing electrodes used in rechargeable batteries, preparing research publications, presentations, and reports, to assure the smooth operation of the electrochemical laboratories.
What You Will Do:
- Develop and apply modern advanced optical and x-ray spectroscopy and microscopy techniques for the characterization, modification, and control of model silicon and other intermetallic anodes and their electrode/electrolyte interfaces in Li-ion rechargeable batteries. These techniques include optical in situ characterization methods such as Raman, FTIR spectroscopy/microscopy, ellipsometry, TERS, near-field nano-FTIR techniques, scanning probe microscopy, XPS and X-ray absorption, and standard electrochemical techniques.
- Develop and deploy novel instrumental techniques and experimental methodologies to design and manufacture intermetallic anodes (e.g., Si, Sn, Sb, etc.) materials, and study kinetic properties of electrode/electrolyte interfaces at adequate chemical, special and temporal resolution.
- Design and perform ex-situ and in situ experiments on electrode samples from functioning Li-ion batteries as well as cell model systems.
- Process, analyze, and present experimental data including applying computer analysis and simulation programs to interpret experimental data and characterize battery electrode materials and interfaces.
- Adapt and combine various characterization techniques, develop innovative experimental approaches and improved methodologies for the treatment of experimental data. This work will focus on developing these techniques to understand kinetic and dynamic phenomena at these interfaces and many of the experiments will be performed at the Advanced Light Source, a DOE User Facility.
- Collaborate in the development of new research proposals and new scientific initiatives.
- Participate in collaborative efforts with industrial partners as a member of a diverse research team.
- Prepare manuscripts, reports, and presentations.
What is Required:
- A recent Ph.D. in Chemical or Material Sciences with a demonstrated proficiency in the application of advanced characterization techniques to study electrochemical phenomena.
- Strong experience in the use of in situ spectroscopy and microscopy, image processing, data simulation, modeling, and numerical analysis of spectroscopic and microscopic data.
- Strong experience in fundamental electrochemistry.
- Excellent organizational and presentation skills including the ability to prepare materials for presentation at meetings and workshops.
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills with the ability to work as an independent researcher with a high level of scientific judgment and initiative and as a member of a diverse research team, collaborating toward goals, solving problems, and developing scientific ideas.
What We Prefer:
- Knowledge of the chemistry of rechargeable battery systems.
- Familiarity with contemporary scientific challenges in battery science and technology.
For full consideration, please apply by July 11, 2021, with the following application materials:
- Cover Letter – Describe your interest in this position and the relevance of your background.
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) or Resume.
- This is a full-time, exempt from overtime pay (monthly paid), 3 year, postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of renewal based upon satisfactory job performance, continuing availability of funds, and ongoing operational needs. You must have less than 2 years of paid postdoctoral experience.
- Salaries for postdoctoral positions depend on years of experience post-degree and are predetermined based on postdoctoral step rates.
- This position is represented by a union for collective bargaining purposes.
- This position may be subject to a background check. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment.
- Work will be performed at Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, 1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA.
Learn About Us:
(LBNL) addresses the world’s most urgent scientific challenges by advancing sustainable energy, protecting human health, creating new materials, and revealing the origin and fate of the universe. Founded in 1931, Berkeley Lab’s scientific expertise has been recognized with 13 Nobel prizes. The University of California manages Berkeley Lab for the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science.
The Energy Storage and Distributed Resources Division ( ) works on developing advanced batteries and fuel cells for transportation and stationary energy storage, grid-connected technologies for a cleaner, more reliable, resilient, and cost-effective future, and demand-responsive and distributed energy technologies for a dynamic electric grid.
The Kostecki Research Group ( ) conducts research on basic processes and fundamental phenomena that occur in electrical energy storage/conversion devices and water treatment systems. We develop and apply advanced spectroscopy and microscopy techniques in combination with electrochemical methods to obtain a detailed insight into the mechanism of interfacial phenomena, which determine the function, operation, and degradation modes of materials, electrodes, and devices. We work closely with our partners in national labs, academia, and industry to establish clear connections between diagnostics, theory/modeling, materials synthesis, and technology development R&D.
Berkeley Lab’s Postdoc Program is committed to providing Postdoctoral Researchers and Visiting scholars with a positive and impactful experience to jump-start their career through premium research and career development, networking opportunities, mentoring programs, and a strong community. For more information, please visit our site and our site.
Berkeley Lab is committed to Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, and Accountability and strives to hire individuals who share these same values and commitments.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. Click to view the poster and supplement: “Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law.”
Job date: Fri, 25 Jun 2021 07:41:37 GMT
Apply for the job now!